Most lawyers that represent adults in social security disability cases also represent children. A parent or legal guardian would would file an application for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) on behalf of the child. A child SSI lawyer will first review parent income and resource information to ensure a claim can be made on behalf of a child by their parent(s) or legal guardian. Income guidelines are established each year by the Social Security Administration (SSA).
There are basically two ways a child can qualify for SSI disability benefits. First is a “Listing” which we discuss under Listing section of this site. The second is to what extent a child’s mental and physical functional ability is impaired. The “Child Disability Report” collects information about a child’s disabling condition and how it affects his/her ability to function in five basic areas. Furthermore, a child SSI lawyer should be familiar with the domains and their significance. SSA bases their decision on whether any limitation exists in any of the following domains:
- Understand, remember, or apply information
- Interact with others
- Concentrate, persist, or maintain pace
- Adapt or manage oneself
Finally, it can be helpful if a doctor and /or teacher fills out Form 538-F6 childhood disability evaluation form and that it is consistent with the school and/or medical records.
To apply for SSI as child…
If it is not too overwhelming for you at first, you may want to apply without an SSI Child Lawyer. In addition, you will need to complete an Application for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) AND a Child Disability Report. The report collects information about the child’s disabling condition and how it affects his/her ability to function.
At this time, only the Child Disability Report can be completed online. Please contact your local office by phone or in person to schedule an appointment to complete the SSI application. SSA will help you in person or by phone.
Steps to get Child SSI
- REVIEW the Child Disability Starter Kit. This kit answers common questions about applying for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits for children, and includes a worksheet that will help you gather the information you need.
- CONTACT Social Security right away to find out whether the income and resources of the parents and the child are within the allowed limits, and to start the SSI application process at 1-800-772-1213
- FILL OUT the online Child Disability Report. At the end of the report, SSA will ask you to sign a form that gives the child’s doctor(s) permission to give us information about his/her disability. SSA needs this information so that they can make a decision on the child’s claim.
- Click on the Disability Lawyer Evaluation for a FREE Case review!
Contact SSA online, by phone, or at your local office for a Child Disability Starter Kit , Please keep in mind that only children of parents with a limited income will qualify as SSI is a need based program.
Child SSI Lawyer
If after applying you do not receive a favorable decision, you may want to search for an attorney that handles not just Social Security Disability Claims but also childhood claims. When you meet with the SSI Lawyer, you should discuss how your child might fit into the rules and what if any additional evidence might be necessary in supporting the claim. I handle SSI childhood cases but I am very selective. If you live in the Southern Illinois (Tri-State) Area give me a call!